Sunday, November 30, 2008

My Left Foot - Part 3: The Wonderful Stationary Sequence

This morning I practiced yoga for the first time since my surgery. I used the template of our Stationary Sequence and modified poses according to what I could and could not do. It was down right fun. I used a stool for most of the standing poses and was able to move through most of the floor poses without too much fuss. Words cannot explain how tremendously wonderful it felt for me to move my body after two weeks of being literally “stationary”.

We often tell out students at Verge Power Yoga that there is a pose for everyone in our Stationary Sequence. Our teachers are more than happy to modify poses for our students prior to class or even during our classes.

We have students practicing at Verge with hip, knee and shoulder replacements. We have students with spinal fusions and chronic low back issues. We have students with rods, plates, screws and more! If you have been off your mat due to an injury or illness, please email me at cara@vergepoweryoga.com and I will personally help you modify the Stationary Sequence so that you can return to practice.

The beauty of the Stationary Sequence practice (or any practice for that matter) is that we can all be doing the same pose but at the same time, all look a bit different. Bottom line is that our yoga practice should serve us individually and based on what we bring into the center with us on any given day, i.e. headache, busy mind, tight hamstrings, etc.

My modified practice this morning served me in a big way. I felt cleansed physically, mentally, emotionally and spiritually. It was a perfect practice because I did the best that I could do with what was available to me today which is very different than where I was two weeks ago. I rested in savasana feeling grateful to be amongst the physically mobile population again.

I return to teaching tomorrow and cannot wait to see everyone. I’ll continue to practice at home for a few more days and then move my stool to Verge for classes there. . You’ll be seeing me “blissed out” in a modified pose in our Stationary classes by the end of the week.

Until then… Peace.

Cara

1 comment:

dgtline said...

Hello Kara:

I read your three part series "My Left Foot" while searching the web for help to reconcile my stationary sequence balancing challenges. I was so enlightened that your article popped-up since I have been practicing with your team for the past three months.

I, too, have encountered injuries to my feet in the highschool years 1967-1969, struggled with flat feet and worn corrective shoes or shoe inserts. Undaunted by the the challenges, I continued with life as if they never happened. At 57+, I have finally earned the time necessary to focus on my practice.

The Injuries: I grew up on a dairy farm in Norman, Oklahoma. Unlike other rural family farming ventures, dairy farming required a certain attitude. The cows had to be milked twice a day....no matter what circumstances came to bear.

While I was not involved with the actual milking process, my sister and I took turns washing glass gallon milk bottles, filling with whole milk cycled from a 500 gallon stainless steel tank, refrigerating the finished containers and selling to local milk customers for 60 cents a gallon.

My first injury was occured during a summer evening at dinner. A milk customer drove up to the dairy barn. It was "my turn" to wait on customers so I jumped from the table, grabbed money to make change and ran out of the house...without shoes.

Just out of the door, I stepped on a rusty can and cut the underside of my right big toe just missing the main artery.

The second incident occurred in the summer of 1968. It was not "my turn" to help at the dairy barn but my sister had made plans that vetoed mine. In sacrifice, I took her turn pouting all the way!

My Dad was filling the glass milk containers and I attached the lids, rinsed and carried to the huge refrigeration case. Feeling persecuted, I hurried to finish my work and was carrying three gallons in each hand. As I tried to break my best time, I heard a clank behind me, felt milk spilling over my legs, thought, Oh well...I can clean up later, took another step and collapsed.

My Dad ran to my side and leaned me against the stainless steel tank while he went to get my brother for help.

In shock, I felt my self slipping and my Dad caught me just in time.

They carried me to the house, wrapped and iced my leg and drove me to the family doctor. As the doctor began to stitch, I heard her tell my Mother she was afraid I would never walk again. I had severed my left Achilles tendon.

Obviously, I did walk again but not without limping for several years.

The next thirty plus years were dedicated to a Commercial Interior Desgin career focused on Healthcare, daughter, husband and pets, not neccessarily in that order. (YIKES!)

My feet and toes had become more like blocks without a stable foundation. Having said that...

I made a positive decision, after being laid-off, to spend the time reinventing myself. Knowing the amazing experience I had had in the BNB series last year, I decided to try again.

I became committed. Every pain I was experiencing have been addressed. Herniated Discs, shoulder pain, headaches, computer hand pain, everything I was going to a chiropractor to relieve have been touched, reduced or alliveated. I love the experience I have had with Verge, the instructors and staff.

My primary practice intention, like yours, is stability. With the help of Jane, Phil, Sue, Patty and Lisa, I firmly intend to conquer my fear of falling. If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thank you for your positive commitment. It flows throughout Verge and subtly comes into each of our practices.